You Can’t Go Wrong With These Gift Ideas
Time really flies, and we’re well into the holiday season again. As we plan and prepare for holiday travel, parties, and family get-togethers, many people are also racking their brains trying to come up with perfect gift ideas for their loved ones.
It’s impossible to deny that some people are just naturally good at selecting great gifts. Others are a bit more gifting challenged.
I happen to love shopping for other people, so below are a few ideas that will hopefully help some of you who are either clueless or too lazy to take the time to select great gifts.
Gift Ideas For the Ladies:
1. Every woman needs some bling. It doesn’t matter if it’s for you mother, your niece, or your significant other, you can’t go wrong with jewelry.
Even if she claims she doesn’t like jewelry, she’s lying. Or it’s possible that she just doesn’t yet realize that she likes it.
Nope, she’s lying….either to you or to herself.
Buying her jewelry will get you brownie points. Trust me.
Men need to use a little discretion with this one though. If you’re in a new or a casual relationship or you’re buying for a platonic female friend who may not want to be a platonic friend, jewelry may send the wrong message. You don’t want to give her the impression that your relationship is serious if it isn’t, and jewelry can give that impression.
If you choose to go the jewelry route, avoid pierced earrings unless you know for sure that the recipient has pierced ears. In the same token, it’s best to avoid rings unless you know her ring size, because it would be very disappointing to receive a ring that was 3 sizes too big or too small. Many, but not all, rings can be sized, but it’s just easier to purchase a nice necklace or a bracelet.
2. Bath and Body Products – It’s difficult to go wrong with great smelling soaps, shower gel, or lotions. Dry skin is especially a problem in the winter, so the holidays are a great time to buy some nice, luxurious moisturizing products.
If she happens to smell bad, this offers the extra added benefit of helping with that without getting you in trouble. She won’t realize you think she stinks. She’ll just think that you’re thoughtful enough to give her some girlie things she’ll enjoy.
3. A Spa day – Have you ever met a women that didn’t like to be pampered? Every woman would enjoy a day where she can just relax and be spoiled. She will appreciate a day of having hair and nails done, and getting a massage and facial.
If you aren’t comfortable selecting a spa package, you can always get her a gift card to a local salon/spa.
This can benefit you as well if you live with her. When she comes home relaxed and in a great mood from the spa, you will likely have a very enjoyable evening.
Gift Ideas For the Men:
4. I have one word for you…..Electronics. It’s just that simple. EVERY guy loves gadgets, whether they’re cheap gadgets or expensive ones.
In fact, you can buy just about any guy an electronic gadget for every single gift-giving occasion and he will never tire of it!
There really is no need for you to read any further. The answer is electronics.
5. You didn’t listen, I see. Ok then, if you don’t want to buy the man in your life electronics, then you have one more chance to redeem yourself…..a gift card to a place that sells electronics.
Gift cards to Amazon, Best Buy, Circuit City, Fry’s, Newegg, and even Walmart or Target are always appreciated. He’ll likely enjoy picking out his own TV, computer, cell phone, camera, or game console anyway, since he might feel that you are unqualified to make the correct selection.
6. Are you still here?? Fine then, how about video games? Technically, they are not electronics. But they will allow the man in your life to spend hours acting like a child, which will undoubtedly thrill him to no end.
I have a few other ideas, but since I don’t recommend buying anything for your man that is not electronics-related, we’re officially done here. I wouldn’t be able to forgive myself for giving you bad advice.
Unisex Gift Ideas:
Frankly, I’m a bit tired of writing, so I’m going to make this section short & sweet. If none of the above ideas work for you, try one of these.
7. Coffee – Almost everyone on this earth appears to either love or NEED coffee. I can’t even stand the smell of it, so I have no clue how anyone ingests it, but if it will keep your recipient from turning into a crazed, caffeine-deprived lunatic, then you know what you’ve gotta do.
I’ve given Gevalia and gotten great reactions. You could also pick up some coffee at Starbucks or Dunkin’ Donuts, and put together a little gift basket of various flavored coffees. Then you can pat yourself on the back for being the reason they made it through the day without killing someone.
8. Wine – If your recipient is a lush, this one’s a given. If you aren’t sure if they’re a lush, wine will work anyway, simply because if they won’t drink it themselves, they can serve it at their holiday get together. Worst case scenario, they can always re-gift it to their alcoholic uncle.
9. Movie passes – I don’t really think this is such a great gift idea, but I can’t think of anything else at the moment, and I think most people like movies.
Just make sure you buy passes for a theater chain that exists in your recipient’s area. I only say this because I almost gave my brother movie passes one year for a theater that didn’t exist where he lives. Fortunately, I caught myself. Don’t make this mistake. Not only will it make the recipient mad, it will make you look like moron as well.
10. When all else fails or you forget to buy a gift and get caught off guard at the last minute, hand them some money. No one’s ever refused cash.
No matter what gift ideas you go with this holiday season, just remember that the goal is 1) to make your recipient happy, and 2) to make yourself appear to be the most thoughtful person in the world, regardless of how much or little you spent.
Remember, it’s the thought that counts. If there’s no thought behind it, they’ll know.
Written By Melissa S. | Friend Melissa S. on Facebook | Join The Forum